But let's face it, eating healthy doesn't always mean starving and limiting ourselves to a short list of vegetables. It's more about being intelligent on choosing fresh and good ingredients and being creative with new recipes.
Pizza. Everybody loves pizza, and if not, they're not human. Yes, there's a way you can eat pizza that's healthy, easy and without giving up the delicious flavor. Here I present you: Zucchini Crust Pizza!
You'll start by shredding your fresh zucchinis. Make sure you get all the water out of them, or you'll end up with a very soft and soggy crust. I used a strainer for that.
Add the shredded zucchini into a bowl with the egg and the cheese.
Mix with a spatula until combined. I kept it simple and seasoned my 'dough' with some salt and black pepper, but you can use your favorite spices.
Transfer your mix into a baking sheet and with the help of your hands, form a flat circle, about 0.5 to 1 cm thick. Remember the crust won't rise because we're not using any flour or baking powder, so have in mind the thickness of your pizza will stay pretty much the same. I recommend you to make it as thin as possible, so you can get a crunchier crust.
You want to pre-cook your crust so it's easier to put the ingredients on top and to give it more time to get crunchier. By the second time the pizza enters the oven, the edges will brown and the texture will be richer and not so soft. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes or until edges start to get barely golden.
Now it's time to add your favorite toppings! I started by a generous layer of marinara sauce (I made it myself, but you can use your favorite brand), then added some mozzarella cheese and topped it with crunchy veggies. I added some oregano and black pepper for more flavor.
Bake it for about 10 to 15 minutes or until edges are slightlty brown and the cheese is bubbly. I finished my pizza with some fresh arugula and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!
ZUCCHINI CRUST PIZZA
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 1 small pizza
For the Crust
2 medium zucchinis
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp Mozzarella cheese
For the Toppings
Vegetables of your choice
*You can also add meat
Seasoning or spices you like
1. Shred the zucchinis and using a strainer, get all the water out of them.
2. Add the shredded zucchini to a bowl, together with the egg and cheeses. Season to taste.
3. On a baking sheet, start forming a flat circle with the mix, about 0.5 cm thick.
4. Bake crust for about 10 to 15 minutes at 185ºC or until edges start to brown.
5. Top crust with a generous layer of marinara sauce, then cheese and your favorite toppings. Don't forget to season at this point.
6. Bake pizza for about 10 to 15 minutes at 185ºC or until edges are golden brown and the cheese starts to bubble.
7. Top with fresh arugula, spinach or fresh greens and a drizzle of olive oil.